Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Toy Story

As I have mentioned previously, when I went to grand-mom's house to retrieve the index, there were numerous other collections present. While the index does not completely reflect Ethel's passions (not a Beatles fan), there were numerous collections connected to her interest in arts and crafts. For example, there were a lot of clothing patterns organized in binders and in file cabinets throughout the house. In the file cabinets I also noted that she had included toy patterns.

I imagine that this is going to be the last post using the initial purex carton. I am hoping to begin a project after vacation that will enable me to put the index back into alphabetical order, which will allow me to search it a little more efficiently. The final card in the purex carton I want to highlight relates to her interest in arts and crafts. This one sticks out because it is the only one housed in an envelope rather than on a diy scrap of paper. Here is an image of the card:



The envelope itself is interesting. It is from Sears, Roebuck and Co. and features the number 16773. I am almost positive that the contents have nothing to do with Sears but was recycled for another use. Still, it is a nice reminder of Sears' mail order roots. The picture on the card is of a toy horse with three wheels and features the number 3514 and the words, "MADE WITH LOVING HANDS." The label Ethel assigned the card is also extremely interesting, as it is labeled, "Horse Tricycle-Barbie." The picture is most certainly of a horse tricycle. Of specific interest is the inclusion of the word "Barbie." At some point I might have to research some Barbie catalogs to find out if this is in fact related to the historic figure. My quick internet search came up empty.

Even if the card has nothing to do with Barbie (which is quite possible) it is still one of the more unique cards in the purex carton. In the case of this card, the envelope includes a pattern for the toy, and what appears to be my grand-mom's attempt to build the toy out of cardboard. Here is a picture of the pattern:



She has noted on the larger circle that it was made from a quarter and on the smaller circle that it was made from a dime. I especially like the drawing of the horse's head. In my opinion that was a really nice touch. Here is a picture of the cardboard cutouts that are also included:



I am not sure if cardboard was the intended material for the toy. With the wheels I would imagine that there should also be some kind of axle system, which isn't highlighted in the contents of this card. However I think it would be kind of neat to build the toy, so tomorrow (with the help of Jill) that is what I will attempt to do. I will be sure to post a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment