Thursday, June 3, 2010

Not A Problem

I think I have found a way to transport the index from the garage to the house, but it will require my brother helping me to build a giant bookshelf in the guest bedroom. So for now I am still working with the initial Purex carton that contained the homer entries. I feel there are at least a couple more blog posts to be found in the carton.

One of the things I most interested about concerning the index is how it reflects who my grand-mom was. Not only in the meta context discussed previously (her identity as a collector and her attempt to keep a sharp mind) but also in the way that the individual cards reflect how she viewed the world. Unlike most dictionaries and encyclopedias which attempt to present an unbiased view, the index seems to (at least occasionally) define my grand-mom politically.

I feel this card provides the perfect example:





I did a quick search for the definition of homosexual online. Here are two examples:

The Free Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary:
Main Entry: 1ho·mo·sex·u·al
Pronunciation: \ˌhō-mə-ˈsek-sh(ə-)wəl, -ˈsek-shəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1892

1 : of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex

2 : of, relating to, or involving sexual intercourse between persons of the same sex

— ho·mo·sex·u·al·ly adverb

Free Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary: Homosexual


Macmillian Dictionary: Free English Dictionary Online and Thesaurus:
Definition of Homosexual
Noun
Pronunciation: /ˌhəʊməʊˈsekʃuəl/
a person who is attracted sexually to people of the same sex. Homosexuals, especially men, are often called gays. Female homosexuals are often called lesbians.

Macmillian Dictionary



Aside from my educational training in cultural theory and the fact that the dictionary definitions reinforce a problematic binary (academic geek speak), I like my grand-mom's entry so much better. Instead of a static and clinical description, grand-mom includes the following information: First there is a clipping from a "dear abbey" type letter written by someone who is confident and out attempting to challenge their parents' homophobia. The answer directs him to the Federation of Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, which is now connected to PFLAG. Then there is a clipping that states in Seligman's opinion, homosexuality is "not a "problem"" and is not something that can be changed. Finally there is a little handwritten note stating that "Advocate Magazine is for gays." It is almost as if she is attempting to direct someone interested in the subject to a safe place where they can find non-offensive information.

My final thought about this card emerges from my training in semiotics, which analyzes the meanings of symbols. I do think the choice of a pink background for the entry labeled "homosexual" is interesting but not intentional. There are numerous pink entries in the Purex box that have nothing to do with homosexuality including one labeled, "Honey, We're Killing the Kids" which apparently was a "2006 TV reality show." The coincidence, however, does add a nice aesthetic aspect to the entry.

I never knew how my grand-mother felt about homosexuality. It was never a topic that came up in conversation. The index has taught me something about her that only strengthens my thoughts about her and my decision to take on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment